Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tournament Report 2/18/12

I hadn't played in a tournaments since January and decided to play this week to show the crowd that judges are good players too.  The Laredo meta is what you would expect anywhere else with good competition.  I couldn't decide whether to run Prisma Lives Glads or Infernities.  I flipped an imaginary coin and went with the latter because I got a Leviair. I saw a kid without a deck that wanted to play so I lent him my GB deck.

Round 1:

X-Sabers - OO

Game 1
Opened Trap Dustshoot.

Game 2
Opened Trap Dustshoot again.

Round 2:

Chaos Dragons - OO

Game 1
Infernity Launcher + Monster Reborn = Game.

Game 2
Zero-Max + Necromancer  + Archfiend + Beetle = Trishula.

Round 3:

Anti-Meta Stun - OO

Game 1
My opponent ran out of resources trying to keep me from going off and failed to protect his Doom Calibers and Thunder Kings.

Game 2
I was sitting on a Starlight Road, Infernity Barrier, and Solemn Judgment when he activated Dark Hole, I think, and I chained Starlight Road. He used compulsory to bounce my Stardust to the Extra Deck and passed.  I made a big push to which he activated Torrential Tribute I chained Infernity Barrier he then chains Solemn Judgment to which I chain my Solemn Judgment.  I attack for game after that.


Round 4:

Dark Worlds - XOO

Game 1
None of us drew into monsters or outlets for almost 6 turns.  He finally drews a Card Destruction and makes advantage off of Grapha, Beiige, and Broww.  He uses Gates and discards a Grapha to clear the field and bounces Beigge to bring out a Grapha and attacks. I draw jank and try my best to stay alive.  On his next turn he uses dealings to bring out  Beiige and bounces to bring out another Grapha. I survived for one more turn because I managed to destroy Gates unforunately I don't top deck anything that could save me.

Game 2
We were having an backrow arms race. I finally built some advantage with 2 Beetles and Grepher poked for damage and synched into Stardust Dragon.  He set and passed.  I drew a Heavy Storm and activated it only for it to get Starlight Road. Me being the noob I am forgot that I could negate Road with Stardust. I chain Infernity Break to his Road instead and he chains Mystical which I negate with Stardust.  I Monster Reborn Gaia Knight and attack his Stardust only to lose it to Dimensional Prison. I special Stardust at the end phase and pass. He draws for turn and crashes his Stardust into mine and Reborns my Stardust in Main Phase 2.  I top a Smashing Ground and use it.  We then start the top decking war and I drew an Archfiend backed up with a Barrier.  I search for another Archfiend summon and attack into a Mirror Force which I negate with Barrier for game.

Game 3
It went down to the wire yet again, a well timed Skill Drain keeps him from losing.  He Brings out Grapha and slowly attempts to regain control. I top into a Smashing Ground and use Infernity Launcher to special two Archfiends to attack.  The boost from Gates of the Underworld sealed the game.


Thoughts:
My build has changed significantly since it's first disastrous appearance in Dallas. We've made a lot of progress with it thankfully. We'll see how the meta changes but for now Infernities are going to be my main deck.

4 comments:

  1. Nice job at your tournament. Infernities seem like a decent choice for the upcoming format because you can come back from a Wind-Up Hunter loop and outspeed Inzektors. The match-up against Dino Rabbit or Six Samurai seems a bit shaky, though.

    I'm actually thinking about picking up Infernities for next format. Do you have any tips about going against Dino Rabbit or Six Samurai, or just tips for building the deck in general?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! For the tougher matchups I side into stun which catches everyone off guard. Scapegoat does work too! :3

    For those matchups it all about outspeeding them game 1. Compulsory, Snowman Eater, Ryko, and Smashing Ground are your best counter for Dino and Sams. I'm going to test Fossil Dyna, but the downside might not make it worthwhile. The rest of the cards you side depend on the feel you get for your opponent. Knowing when to attack or defend is what makes this deck hard to master. When I first started with the deck I lost more than I'd like to admit, but by losing I finally understood what I needed to change and fix. Hope that helps. If you want more details to gameplan some more email me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, siding into Stun when using Infernities is fairly common, but I feel as though it won't help against Six Samurai, since you're just going to be trying to beat them at their own game.

      Ryko sounds like a good card to side, but I would consider Morphing Jar #2 over Fossil Dyna.

      Also, do you think that Dark Grepher is absolutely necessary in the deck? I've been thinking about just using Armageddon Knight.

      Delete
    2. It's mandatory to run Grepher, Armageddon Knight is a preference for some but not for me because its too slow and just sends 1 monster.

      Delete